Colds and the Flu
||Tell a Friend
||Subscribe to Newsletter
||Contact Dr. Comas
||Signs and Symptoms
Natural Prevention and Treatment
When the immune system is over worked and the cellular defenses are down, viruses and bacteria which are
always around us are able to invade the body.
Signs and symptoms:
Fatigue, weakness, runny nose and eyes, sneezing, sore throat, headache, aching bones and muscles, nausea,
constipation or diarrea associated with it.
These are similar to the signs and symptoms of the detoxification process the body goes through when eliminating
A cold or flu, in its beginning stages, is actually a detoxification reaction by the body.
At this point, the condition becomes much worse and symptoms become pronounced.
According to recent studies use of over-the-counter cold and flu medicines at any stage of the illness only act to make it
worse by prolonging the disease. This is because they act to decrease the body's healing response which we experience
as a detoxification reaction. It is the body's way of eliminating toxins and keeping viruses and bacteria from setting up house keeping in the body.
Natural ways of preventing and minimizing cold and flu effects:
1. At the first sign of a cold or flu decrease your food intake for the first 24 hours.
Your appetite level will be your guide here.
If you are hungry, eat sparingly and maintain a diet of fruits, vegetables, soups and salads.
These are alkaline foods which act to neutralize the acidic internal environment in which bacteria and viruses love to live.
2. Bed rest ! Take a day or two off work, sleep. Doing this now will allow you to get back to the job sooner and eliminate
the possibility of infecting your fellow workers.
3. Homeopathic influenza medicines will be recomended. This will often stop the cold or flu right in its tracks.
If the condition has advanced to the infection stage, these will also be useful. For an illness which has taken hold,
an individual homeopathic prescription may be necessary.
4. Garlic at 1 to 3 cloves per day, chopped and swallowed with a little water or in soup has proven to be very effective
against viruses and bacteria. Raw garlic works better than encapsulated garlic as less is needed.
5. Increasing vitamin C at the beginning of the cold and flu season will help detoxify the body,thus eliminating the type of environment bacteria and viruses enjoy. Beta carotene also helps as both vitamins enhance immune system function and
cellular defense mechanisms.
6. Hydrotherapy techniques such as the wet t-shirt or sock treatment or constitutional
hydrotherapy are also beneficial. These treatments can be done at home or at doctors’ officce.
For more information on how to perform them, contact me.
7. A cold or flu can turn into something else such as bronchitis or pneumonia so prolonged illnesses need to be evaluated
by a health professional.
If you follow this protocol you will experience a shorter course of the illness and fewer down days.
I hope that this will be beneficial for you.
Please be advised: This information is provided for personal interest.
As every individual case is different, it is essential that a certified health professional be consulted before initiating
any treatment regime.
Should you wish to discuss the specifics of your case you can contact Dr. Comas (416) 515-8493
or e-mail: Dr-Comas@NaturalMedicineSolutions.com